Keen to be better equipped to serve God in your church, workplace, home?
Are you in a part-time or associate ministry role, and would like some theological training and a recognized qualification which includes the option of including several practical subjects?
Thinking that you should be training for ministry, but aren’t yet sure whether a three or four year theological degree is right for you?
If any of these describe you, then the QTC Diploma of Ministry (DipMin) is an option seriously worth considering. You don’t need to have studied at uni before to be able to enrol in the DipMin.
Along the way, you will get to hear more from the range of visiting pastors and scholars that pass through QTC – many of whom spend time in the classroom with our students. Recent speakers have included Matt Chandler, Daniel Block, Michael Horton, Kathleen Nielson, John Piper, Don Carson, Mark Dever, Douglas Moo, Carl Trueman, Richard Bauckham, Kent Hughes, & Christopher Wright.
What’s the commitment?
You can study the DipMin in one of two ways:
- Full-time over ten months at QTC. Attendance at QTC is no more than 3.5 days per week. There are no night time or weekend classes, to facilitate a balanced lifestyle between college, family and church ministry.
- Part-time over up to four years. You can complete the DipMin by attending classes for as little as one part-day per week, depending on your subject choices and how quickly you wish to finish the course. All of the required units for the DipMin (see below) are offered with classes on a single day only. Most of our practical electives are offered on a single day or as intensives for your convenience.
What do I study?
DipMin students take the following course:
- Four biblical subject units, which survey the whole of the Old and New Testaments (OT301, OT302, NT301, NT302).
- Two short half-units which introduce you to how to study the Bible (RYO31), and to Christian Doctrine (TRT32).
- Either Reformation Church History (CH324, offered Semester 2 every year) or Christian Ethics (PE402, offered Semester 1 every year).
- At least two units drawn from QTC’s wide range of electives in the practical studies area – you can choose what you would like to do based on whatever your ministry intentions are. We offer units in missions, preaching, pastoral skills and methods, Christian leadership, youth & children’s ministries, school chaplaincy, Christian worship, and aged care chaplaincy. Please note that not all units are offered every year, and some may be offered in the same timetable slots as others units that you might like to do – consult the latest timetable.
- Any student who is likely to want to continue on to the Bachelor of Ministries (BMin) should include CH324 and Intro to NT Greek A (LA004A) in their course plan. If you wish to continue on to the Bachelor of Theology (BTh), you will also need to take Intro to NT Greek B (LA004B) in addition to these units.
Eligibility & Financial Support?
If you have completed Grade 12 with an OP of 14 or better (or the equivalent interstate or overseas), you are eligible to apply for the DipMin. If you are aged 21 years and over and can satisfy the college of your ability to study the course, you may be eligible for mature age entry without the Grade 12 requirement. If English is not your first language, you will need to be able to demonstrate sufficient proficiency in English – please contact the Registrar for details.
The course is accredited within Australia as an award of the Australian College of Theology, of which QTC is a member institution along with around 20 colleges nationally. As such, it is a recognized course for the purposes of Fee-Help, Austudy, Youth Allowance (provided you meet the government’s eligibility requirements), and for International Students (ACT CRICOS provider number is 02650E). Current fee levels for units in the DipMin can be found here.
Your Next Step?
Contact the QTC Registrar for more details or to apply.
QTC is an affiliated college of the Australian College of Theology. The CRICOS code for the ACT’s Diploma of Ministry is 054659K